January 21, 2013

Malorie's Mac and Cheese

Malorie got this recipe from VegNews Magazine but made some changes of her own.  This is seriously THE BEST vegan mac and cheese I have ever had!  The original recipe can be found here: 

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=40&catId=10&fb_source=message

and here are Malorie's recipe updates and revisions:

It is best to soak the cashews as long as you can, it makes them soft and way easier to blend. I used panko bread crumbs and mixed them in melted butter (vegan, or course) in a pan on the stove before I put them on top of the macaroni. I also did not use any shallots (since I didn't have any). I sauteed the carrots and onions in a bit of olive oil for about 8 mins then I added 1 cup of veg broth instead of water and then the potatoes and then I let it simmer for about 15 minutes. I reduced the salt a little since I used veg broth (also used the full amount another time and was still delicious). I also roasted the garlic in the oven for a few minutes before adding it. And, since I love chipotle pepper powder, I used that instead of cayenne pepper. For the topping I sprinkled smoked paprika instead of regular paprika I hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment